This isn't a baking blog or a ministry blog (but I'll talk about those), and it's not a gardening blog (goodness, no). This is just a blog about anything, and maybe everything, that I'm thinking about right now.







Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Homemade Taco Seasoning

When I was a preteen, my mom started having me cook up the family meal one night a week.  I generally defaulted to tacos: a pound of beef, taco seasoning mix in an envelope, crunchy shells, cheese and few other toppings and we had a meal! 


Source unknown


I still think tacos make a great meal.  Everyone can make their meal to please their palate; I just have to put all the pieces on the table.  When I want to kick it up a notch, I add homemade guacamole and/or homemade corn tortillas.  Or sometimes we'll make Inside-Out Tacos with all the ingredients served over rice (or quinoa!).

And occasionally, I'll make the taco seasoning mix from scratch as well.  The taste isn't identical to the packet kind.  It tastes a little more subtle; we prefer it when we're cleaning up our eating and are trying to eat more "real food."  Or I'll use it in a pinch when I've run out of the packets.

Here's the recipe:




Homemade Taco Seasoning

2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (more or less to taste)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. oregano

Combine all ingredients.  Double, triple, or quadruple if desired.  Store in a labeled ziploc bag.

Use 2 tablespoons in recipes as you would use a packet of taco seasoning.

To make taco meat: Brown ground beef in a skillet, stirring to break it up.  Drain.  Add spice mixture along wtih 1/2 cup water.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.  Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment