This isn't a baking blog or a ministry blog (but I'll talk about those), and it's not a gardening blog (goodness, no). This is just a blog about anything, and maybe everything, that I'm thinking about right now.







Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Steakhouse Pizza for the New Year

October is for Halloween, which means skeletons and costumes; November is for Thanksgiving, which means cooking tools and Pilgrims; December is for Christmas, which means baked goods and Santas.  But what do the stores sell in January?  Exercise equipment and organizational supplies, of course!

Those retailers know their customers!  They know that after months of indulging in too many mashed potatoes (made with real cream, of course), and buttered biscuits, and cookies, and candy, we take a step back from the mirror and groan.

Why don't my pants fit anymore?  Did this always stick out like this?  Did my clothes shrink in the wash?

So we make promises that we're going to start exercising and eating healthier.  And lucky for us, the Food Network and cooking magazines know all about it also, so they offer us lots of healthier, lighter, fresher recipes.

Well, I'm here to admit that Steve and I have done just what they expect.  All week (one week so far!) we've eaten healthy dinners together.  

Honestly I'm kind of proud of my healthy recipe repertoire.  And I've found several new ones as well!

And, as always, when I've found a great new recipe, I can't wait to share it with my friends. (You.)

Well, you're not going to believe this one, but I'm telling you, it was good!

Here it is:  (Ready??)

Cauliflower Crust Pizza



Yep.

And Portobello Steak Pizza




Here are some recipes for you, and a few notes along the way:
(Oh, and I should mention that "healthy" here can be interpreted in different ways.  When Steve and I are doing a fat loss bootcamp we eat regular/healthy breakfasts and lunches, but for dinner we go low/no carb.  These recipes are loaded with healthy veggies and good protein, but aren't necessarily low in fat as they are written.  Okay, qualifier over-and-out.)

Cauliflower Pizza Crust (recipe from Sparkpeople, here)
(Serves 2 - I made 2 for our family of four - my kids loved it!)
1 cup cooked cauliflower (I steamed it lightly), mashed and well-drained
1 egg (try 2 egg whites)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
herbs, as you like (I forgot these, and don't think I'll add them next time)

Combine all the ingredients.  Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (or stone).  Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.  Cover with toppings as you like.  Bake for 10 more minutes or so, until toppings are warmed and cheese is melted.  (I made one with regular pizza sauce and cheese; and one following Pioneer Woman's recipe for Steakhouse Pizza - yum!!!)

Portobello Pizzas
(2 portobello mushroom caps is a good amount for one person.)

Scrape the gills from underneath 2 portobello mushroom caps.  Cut off the stem.  Place on a baking sheet covered with greased aluminum foil.  Bake at 450 for 5-10 minutes, just to soften.  Top with the pizza toppings you like (I highly recommend those PW Steakhouse Pizza toppings!)  Bake for 5-10 minutes to melt the cheese and warm the toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment