This isn't a baking blog or a ministry blog (but I'll talk about those), and it's not a gardening blog (goodness, no). This is just a blog about anything, and maybe everything, that I'm thinking about right now.







Thursday, June 9, 2011

My Coleslaw

Yesterday I visited Phat Hatties, the barbecue truck on the corner of Union and Academy.  As I mentioned, Steve and I really liked it.  But I did say, "I like my coleslaw better."




Sometimes I wonder, "Does anyone really like coleslaw anymore?"  I'm not sure it's that big of a deal in Colorado.  Personally, I grew up on it.  My dad likes it, so we had it with all your typical coleslaw meals - barbecue, fried chicken, .

My favorite coleslaw, though, is at Chick-Fil-A.  The dressing is so tasty and the vegetables are fresh.  When I worked at Chick-Fil-A in college, we actually had a customer who would come in each week just to buy the coleslaw dressing.

Well, I hate to buy something when I could make it myself, so I found a recipe for coleslaw on AllRecipes.com, and adapted it to our tastes.

Here's the recipe:

Coleslaw
Serves 8-12 (Coleslaw generally goes pretty far in a group of Coloradoans.)

1 (16 oz.) bag coleslaw mix
2 tbsp. diced onion
2/3 cup mayonnaise (The original recipe calls for Miracle Whip.  I'm not a fan, but feel free to use that if you prefer it.)
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tbsp. white vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. poppy seeds, optional (I always forget them.)

In a medium bowl, combine coleslaw mix and onion.  In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients.  Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mixture and toss to combine.  It will seem dry at first, but don't worry about that, it will be perfect after it rests.  Refrigerate for 2 hours or more before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment