This isn't a baking blog or a ministry blog (but I'll talk about those), and it's not a gardening blog (goodness, no). This is just a blog about anything, and maybe everything, that I'm thinking about right now.







Monday, March 21, 2011

God is my...Umbrella?


I wanted to share one of my new favorite songs with you.  The Glee cast did a remake of Umbrella by Rhianna combined with Singing in the Rain.  I imagine they were just being clever to put these two songs together, but to me, when I apply my own perspective from Scripture, this song is deep.

Take a minute to listen to this song, if you'd like, and then you can read my thoughts below.


"Don't rain on my parade."
"When it rains it pours."

Rain is generally understood to be a negative word picture.  It represents the trouble that comes unbidden into life and interrupts our happy, sunshiney days.

What I love about this song is that someone has found a new perspective:
I'm singing in the rain
Just singing in the rain
What a wonderful feeling
I'm happy again


I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above
I'm singin', singin' in the rain.
For this person, the rain hasn't stopped, but they have something bigger to give them hope even in the midst of the storm. In Christ we have the same hope.
"Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever... But as for me, it is good to be near God.  I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds." (Psalm 73:26-28 NIV)
And then the singer extends an invitation:
You can stand under my umbrella.
This is what I love!  I have a hope that many in the world don't share.  I have joy where many have sorrow, because I have a hope that extends beyond this world, enabling me to rest in the comfort of my Father's arms when the storm rages around me.

How can I extend that hope to people who are struggling through a storm?  I pray that I have the discernment to reach out and say to another: "You can stand under my umbrella." 

"Taste and see that the Lord is good;
blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."
Psalm 34: 8 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment