This isn't a baking blog or a ministry blog (but I'll talk about those), and it's not a gardening blog (goodness, no). This is just a blog about anything, and maybe everything, that I'm thinking about right now.







Thursday, April 7, 2011

You need to listen to the doctor, Mommy!

Teo and Owen are trying to keep me in line with this pregnancy.

We've been very honest with them about some of the problems we've been experiencing with the pregnancy (see subchorionic hematoma).  After having two miscarriages, we decided that we want to pray for this baby together as a family, and at the same time keep the kids aware of the possibilities. 


Photo: Christine Elise, Cloth Diaper Market

The other day Teo and I decided to stop and visit a baby store near our house.  Teo asked me if we were going to buy something for the baby, and I answered (very honestly, considering I was talking to a 4 year-old) that I didn't want to buy anything for the baby yet in case there was a problem and the baby died.  I said that I didn't want to have baby things at our house that we might not get to use.  Here's the conversation that followed:

TEO: You need to listen to the doctor and do what the doctor says so the baby stays healthy.
ME: That's right, I do.
TEO: You don't listen so good to the doctor sometimes.
ME:  Really? When didn't I listen to the doctor?
TEO: You picked me up when I got that boo-boo, and the doctor said you weren't supposed to pick me up.

Well, he's right.  I noticed that, as a mom, there are a few things that come very naturally, and that despite what the doctor says, it's very hard to be the perfect patient when my (older) children's safety or well-being are at stake.  When Teo fell very hard at a restaurant the other night, I scooped him up and carried him out the door to comfort him and check out the damage before I even thought twice about it.  Teo, in the middle of crying about a hurt knee, was saying to me, "Mommy, you aren't supposed to carry me!"  Sweet boy.

Another thing that happened recently was that Owen accidentally opened his car door as we hurtled down the interstate at 75 mph.  He was trying to open his window, but he pulled the wrong lever.  Before I had a chance to think about it, I unbuckled myself, twisted around backwards toward his seat and pulled his door shut.  Any of those movements could've been a problem for the baby growing within me.  As far as I can tell there haven't been any repercussions.



But, really, is there any other choice?  I don't know how a mom is supposed to decide which child to protect in any given moment, but I'm just glad my mind keeps making that decision for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment