This isn't a baking blog or a ministry blog (but I'll talk about those), and it's not a gardening blog (goodness, no). This is just a blog about anything, and maybe everything, that I'm thinking about right now.







Saturday, April 16, 2011

Best of The Springs

The Colorado Springs Gazette "Best of the the Springs 2011" magazine came out yesterday.  I thought I'd share with you some of the winners, and perhaps my thoughts on a few.

BEST NEW RESTAURANT (PEOPLE'S CHOICE): Flatiron's American Bar & Grill
I haven't been here.  Have you?  What did you think?  My vote was for BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse, which won the Bronze prize.

BEST FIRST DATE PLACE (PEOPLE'S CHOICE): Piazza Italian Kitchen
Well, if you haven't been yet, you're out of luck.  Piazza's is now closed.  The management has opened a new restaurant in its place: Wyatt's Pub & Grill.

BEST FINE DINING (PEOPLE'S CHOICE): The Famous
Silver: Sonterra Grill (This was my vote)
Bronze: Steaksmith (So glad this won bronze - it's a great restaurant.)

BEST STEAK (PEOPLE'S CHOICE): The Famous
Well, steak is what they're "famous" for, so this one's not a surprise.  Again I want to mention:
Silver: Texas Roadhouse
Bronze: Steaksmith, again

BEST GOURMET TWIST ON KID FOOD: OPB&J
Okay, I think they invented a category to fit this restaurant in.  This new place offers peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. Just that.  Sound strange for a restaurant concept?  Well, it's pretty good!  I went with a friend and we had two great sandwiches.  Their bread is brought in from Great Harvest; their toppings are more varied than you would ever know could be possible for a pb&j place.  I ate one sandwich with spicy Thai peanut butter and jalapeno jelly, topped with sprouts and chopped carrots and bell peppers.  The other sandwich boasted vanilla cranberry peanut butter and peach jelly, with sliced bananas and strawberries. (This was my favorite.)  My recommendation would be to definitely give this place a try, let the employees create a sandwich for you, and ask for them to go "light" on the peanut butter, or you will eat a day's worth of calories on one sandwich.

BEST SUNDAY BRUNCH (PEOPLE'S CHOICE): The Broadmoor's Lake Terrace Dining Room
I absolutely agree!  My mom and dad treat us to brunch here for our birthdays and I look forward to it every year!  The kids love it, too.  In fact, Teo asked for it for lunch yesterday.  Beware the steep price: $39 before tax and tip.  (Teo had to settle for mac n cheese at home.)

BEST BREAKFAST (EXPERT CHOICE): Smiley's Bakery & Cafe
This was Steve's vote.  I can't wait to try it myself!

BEST NEW COFFEE HANGOUT (EXPERT CHOICE): Jives Coffee Lounge
I wanted to give a shout-out to this coffee place.  They are very supportive of our college ministry, offering their locale for our uses occasionally, and serving the artisan coffee of Switchback Coffee Roasters, owned by one of our part-time staff team members.  Definitely check them out!

BEST MEXICAN (PEOPLE'S CHOICE): Salsa Brava
Wow, Salsa Brava beat the previously undefeated champion, Amanda's Fonda.

BEST FRENCH(PEOPLE'S CHOICE): La Baguette
Absolutely, and they also get my vote for best bakery, as long as you mean a place that bakes bread rather than cakes.

BEST GERMAN (PEOPLE'S CHOICE): Edelweiss Restaurant

BEST ITALIAN (PEOPLE'S CHOICE): Paravicini's Italian Restaurant
I haven't been here!  Have you?  What do you think?

BEST BARBECUE (PEOPLE'S CHOICE): Bird Dog BBQ
Sorry, Rudy's lovers!  Bird Dog was our vote, too.  But I still think Colorado Springs hasn't mastered BBQ.

BEST GREEK (PEOPLE'S CHOICE): Jake and Telly's Greek Taverna

BEST CHINESE (PEOPLE'S CHOICE): Silver Pond

BEST THAI (PEOPLE'S CHOICE): Wild Ginger Thai Restaurant

BEST GLUTEN FREE (PEOPLE'S CHOICE): Coquette Bistro & Bakery

BEST VEGETARIAN (PEOPLE'S CHOICE): Adam's Mountain Cafe

And the place I'm most likely to try:
BEST HIDDEN GEM: Caspian Cafe
It's described as "easy to miss and a delight to find."  Their cuisine is called upscale, exotic Mediterranean fare.

There are lots, and I mean lots of other "best of" categories to check out, from best festival to best shopping center.  There's even a best marijuana dispensary.  Yep.  So, everything you needed to know, and everything you didn't know you needed to know right at your fingertips.  Check out www.coloradosprings.com/bestof for more "bests."

What are your favorite restaurants in Colorado Springs?

2 comments:

  1. What a great post Kendra! Special shout out to my dear friend Sarah, for Best Wedding planner!
    http://www.coloradosprings.com/articles/planner-9368-springs-wedding.html
    So for all you newly engaged check her out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOTS of new places I've not heard of, but so glad that La Baguette made the vote - that is my FAVE!

    ReplyDelete